Thursday, September 22, 2022

Christmas Stories--Two New Book Covers!

I've been stuck on my laptop all afternoon...but with some enjoyable compensation: watching the robins perch on the huckleberry bush right next to the window, gobbling up the berries!

I used to get a bit tweaked, losing our huckleberries to the birds. But the last few years I've gotten more philosophical. John and I are managing  to keep our lavish blueberry crop all for ourselves (by extensive netting), so why not share the much-harder-to-pick huckleberries!

My desk work today has been dealing with book publishing tasks, which is more fun than it sounds when you get to be creative. It's kind of early for the holidays, but I wanted to share a couple of new covers for existing books, both with a Christmas theme.

The Christmas Visitor, a novelette-length short story, is a prequel to my brand-new Irish novel, The Fairy Cottage of Ballydara! (Details coming next time!)

And the second Christmas book, Morgan Carey and The Mystery of the Christmas Fairies, is a middle-grade novel for tweens. It's set in the forested foothills very much like where we live...except with real, live fairies!

(You can probably tell I'm a big fairy fan!)

For the Christmas Fairies book, the cover came before the story! I found the image of this magical-looking tree when I was creating the original cover for The Christmas Visitor. Since it's my deepest, secret wish to someday find a big tree with a door in it, I immediately thought, this tree needs a story.

So I'd always intended to write a children's novel featuring this amazing fairy tree, but I was busy with my books for grown-ups. And time flew by with me writing a word of it.

The plots for my books generally come to me slowly, over weeks or months. But not for this book: one day, a week before Christmas, the story came to me in one fell swoop, demanding "write me"!

You can find more about both books at www.susancolleenbrowne.com...But it's time to leave the desk: Miss Broody wants a snack, and the garden is calling!




No comments:

Post a Comment